Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Movie Review - A Clockwork Orange

Anyone who has ever talked favorite movies with me, has probably heard me reference A Clockwork Orange. Arguably (though there are a couple to pick from) Stanley Kubrick's finest film, the movie asks a tremendous question:

Is a person's capacity for violence a bad thing?

It is a very complex question. On one hand, that capacity can hurt others. On the other hand, that capacity can also defend yourself.

And there is also a question of humanity involved here. Is having the capability of violence and choosing not to act on it, truly just a human capability? Is that what makes up the human soul, that notion of right and wrong?

It seems as though everywhere you look, those large questions are facing the world. In bouncing back to the movie review of Untraceable for a minute, the question was asked: How far do people take the anonymous nature of the internet and what are the repercussions of this? A Clockwork Orange, asks this question also, but in every-day life.

The protagonist is a violent character by nature, but also embraces art, especially the music of Beethoven. To a point (and I realize I'm making a bit of a reach here, as some people view the movie differently) the violence he creates is grand and artistic, too. The wardrobe he dons is ultra-male with a sensible sort of style.

If you haven't seen the movie, you must. There is no way around it. None. You must see it. However, let me caution you. The movie is violent. Extremely violent. I believe it is rated R, and it is rated as such for good reason. It shows the basic defiling of human nature and this may not be pleasant. But, to me anyway, it is also necessary in order to appreciate the questions being asked.

When it comes to 'smart' movies, this movie is what I judge all other movies against and I try to watch it at least once a month, despite having owned it for years. It is that kind of movie for me.

5 starts out of 5. If the scale went to six, it would be given a six. If the scale went to 400, I would give it a 400. Enjoy.

No comments: