Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Movie Review - Badder Santa: The Unrated Version

I watched Badder Santa: The Unrated Version today.

Not sure what I was expecting with it, but it far exceeded whatever I went into it with. I'm not calling it a modern masterpiece or anything, far from it.

It is basically vulgar and if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, I don't believe you will enjoy this kind of movie at all. It is rated R, and so if you are under age, you would have to get approval from your parents to watch it...best of luck convincing them you should view this movie.

That said, if you do like those kind of off-color comedies, the movie might be worth a watch. Basically the story centers around Billy Bob Thornton as the protagonist, a down-on-his-luck guy that spends time being a mall Santa in order to set up mall thefts with his elf sidekick (Tony Cox, who is tremendous).

He has all the loveable faults of an anti-hero. He really doesn't want the job of 'hero' but basically is thrust into the role because of found compassion for one of the kids who ends up on his lap. Some of his less-polished qualities turn into strengths and he can serve as a spokesperson for how not to live your life. In essence the movie almost takes a 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' kind of turn. Thornton is about as low as a person can be, but by the end you are nearly (I stress nearly) rooting for him.

Other notables in the film include John Ritter (in his last film before passing away, the film is dedicated to him) and Bernie Mac.

All things totaled, I give it a solid three out of five stars. Probably not a movie I would dedicate my life to, but it has its moments and is worth a watch, especially if you are craving a little holiday cheer.

No comments: